Welcome to another Hope for Health presentation. Our message this month is on circulation.
Circulation is the word used to describe the constant movement of blood around the body, made possible by the pumping action of the heart. This movement, or flow of blood, takes place in a network of tubes known as blood vessels. The circulatory system includes the heart, blood vessels and blood, and is vital for fighting illness and maintaining proper temperature and pH balance. The system's main function is to transport blood, nutrients, gases and hormones to and from the cells throughout the body.
If you were to lay out all of the arteries, capillaries and veins in one adult, end-to-end, they would stretch about 60,000 miles. What's more, the capillaries, which are the smallest of the blood vessels, would make up about 80 percent of this length. By comparison, the circumference of the Earth is about 25,000 miles. That means a person's blood vessels could wrap around the planet approximately 2.5 times! Capillaries are tiny, averaging about 8 microns (1/3000 inch) in diameter, or about a tenth of the diameter of a human hair. Red blood cells are about the same size as the capillaries through which they travel, so these cells must move in single-file lines. Some capillaries, however, are slightly smallei in diameter than blood cells, forcing the cells to distort their shapes to pass through.
Age and inactivity contribute to poor circulation
Returning blood to the heart from lower parts of the body (such as the feet and legs) is hard work for the circulation, because this blood has to be pushed uphill. The circulation, therefore, needs help from muscles that surround veins. When we walk, for example, muscles in our feet and legs help to pump blood upwards. As you may be imagining it is no wonder that so many of us have circulation problems, it is a constant uphill battle! As we grow older, we are often less active than we used to be. This, combined with the general wear and tear of aging, can cause the circulation to work less effectively than it once did.
However, it is not only advancing age that can lead to poor circulation and the problems this can cause. Circulation problems can affect anyone who isn't active, whatever their age. Poor circulation means that oxygen carried in the blood may not be transported to all parts of the body as well as it normally would be. Getting oxygen to the outer edges of the body, such as the fingers and toes, is particularly difficult if the circulation is not working well. Symptoms such as cold hands and feet, caused by poor blood flow to these areas, are therefore common in people with poor circulation.
There may also be feelings of tiredness or having less energy than usual, which again can be a result of too little oxygen getting to the parts of the body where it's needed. Similarly, cuts, scratches and sores may take longer to heal than usual. Poor circulation may also result in pooling of blood lower in the body, causing pain in the feet, ankles and legs. People with poor
circulation may also have muscle cramps or heavy, aching legs. Hope for Health has some excellent supplements that we will be discussing later in the presentation that help with circulation, but before we delve in to that, let's talk about a sure-fire way to increase circulation.
Yes, it is your favorite subject -exercise!
We know we bring this up often, but that is because it is just that important. Exercise can literally save your life! At Hope for Health we are no different than you; we know all the excuses to come up with for not exercising after a busy day at the office. But we also know how terrific we feel when we get up and do something! You don't have to start with a 30-minute intense workout; if you haven't exercised much lately start with something easy, like parking the car in the garage and then walking out to the street for the mail. Or vacuum the whole house; it gets you moving and your house will be clean too! If you can't get outside, go to the mall and window shop while you walk. Take the steps whenever you canTry parking far from the entrance at work or when running errands. Throw the ball around with the kids or grandkids, good for you and them! The point here is that you can incorporate movement without putting on a special outfit and going to the gym.
Perhaps you've heard it said that: "Some exercise is better than none, more exercise is generally better than less, and no exercise can be disastrous." If you are not able to do any of the above if you need to start by sitting, then put on some music and move your arms to conduct the music. Lift your feet up and down, or sideways, or even just toe/heel to stretch your muscles. Make it fun, get everyone in the family involved, even your pets will benefit from more movement, more exercise!
Just in case you need more motivation, here is a list of other benefits that will inspire you to exercise:
- Longevity - people who are physically active live longer. According to a 20-year study, regular exercise reduces the risk of dying prematurely.
- New brain cell development - improved cognition and memory. Exercise stimulates the formation of new brain cells. Researchers found that the areas of the brain that are stimulated through exercise are responsible for memory and learning. For instance, older adults who engage in regular physical activity have better performances in tests implying decision-making process, memory and problem solving.
- Improved sexual function -Regular exercise maintains or improves sex life. Physical improvements in muscle strength and tone, endurance, body composition and cardiovascular function can all enhance sexual functioning in both men and women. Researchers revealed that men who exercise regularly are less likely to have erectile dysfunction and impotence than are men who don't exercise.
- Powerful mood elevator - Study after study has shown that exercise promotes mental health and reduces symptoms of sadness.
- Cardiovascular health - Lack of physical activity is one
- of the major risk factors for cardiovascular problems. Regular exercising makes your heart, like any other muscle, stronger. A stronger heart can pump more blood with less effort.
- Healthy blood sugar levels -There is strong evidence from high quality studies that moderate physical activity combined with weight loss and balanced diet can result in a 50-60% reduction in the risk of unhealthy blood sugar levels.
- Weight control - Regular exercise helps to reach and maintain a healthy weight. If you take in more calories than needed in a day, exercise offsets a caloric overload and controls body weight. It speeds the rate of energy use, resulting in increased metabolism. When metabolism increases through exercise, you will maintain the faster rate for longer periods of a day.
- Muscle strength - Health studies repeatedly show that strength training increases muscle strength and mass, and decreases fat tissue.
- Bone strength - An active lifestyle benefits bone density. Regular weight-bearing exercise promotes bone formation, delays bone loss and may guard against bone loss associated with aging.
- Better night sleep - If you suffer from sleep problems, daily exercise can make the difference. The natural dip in body temperature five to six hours after exercise may help you to fall asleep.
Exercise is the best way to improve circulation, however, if your health is compromised right now, you may want some immediate help as you begin your lifestyle changes. Hope for Health offers a variety of supplements to improve circulation, and the problems in connection with poor circulation.
The first of these is Butcher's Broom, which has anti-inflammatory properties that have been shown to help improve circulation and reduce swelling. It has also been shown to help tighten blood vessels and capillaries, which is very beneficial if you suffer from bulging veins. Relief is here for those of you who suffer from this VERY painful condition! According to American University in Washington, DC, Butcher's Broom activates receptors that stimulate the release of noradrenaline to increase vascular tone and constrict blood vessels. The constriction helps to get the blood moving and reduce pooling. Butcher's Broom contains flavonoids that also support normal circulation and strengthen blood vessels.
In 2007, researchers in Mexico conducted an 8-week study in which 124 patients that complained of discomfort, leg heaviness and edema were put on a daily regimen of two capsules of Butcher's Broom. Within two weeks, reductions in complaints were observed. By the end of the study, no complaints remained. Wow, you could be one of those without complaints! Wouldn't that be a HUGE relief!
The next offering is Ginkgo Biloba; did you know that ginkgo is one of the oldest living tree species? It is also one of the best-selling herbal supplements in the United States and Europe. Ginkgo has a long history of use in treating blood disorders and memory issues. Research has shown that ginkgo improves blood circulation by opening up blood vessels and making blood less sticky. It is also an antioxidant.
In your body, harmful particles called free radicals build up as you age, and may contribute to heart problems, unhealthy cell growth and cognitive and memory issues. Antioxidants like those found in ginkgo fight off free radicals, and stop them from damaging DNA and other cells.
Ginkgo Biloba is one of the most well researched herbs in the world! It increases the blood flow to the brain and improves blood flow through both major blood vessels and capillaries. It increases metabolism efficiency, regulates neurotransmitters, and boosts oxygen levels in the brain (which uses 20% of the body's oxygen). It has been shown to increase brain functionality, which is beneficial to those suffering from poor concentration and memory loss. This is the main reason that Ginkgo Biloba is so popular, as it has been shown both scientifically and by actual use to improve mental function (particularly in elderly people).
Researchers recently reviewed all of the high-quality published studies on ginkgo and mild memory impairment, and concluded that ginkgo was significantly more effective than placebo in enhancing memory and cognitive function. As more than 300 studies demonstrate, Ginkgo facilitates better blood flow throughout the body, most notably the brain, where it both protects and promotes memory and mental function, particularly for the elderly.
Another Hope for Health product that may help improve circulation is Odorless Garlic. Garlic has been used as medication and food for thousands of years. According to the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, garlic is used to help treat circulatory disorders and enhance blood circulation throughout your arteries and veins. A study, published in "The Journal of Nutrition" in 2006, found that garlic helps to maintain healthy blood pressure and cholesterol levels. Garlic has been found helpful for the heart and circulation in two ways:
- Its sulfur compounds help to promote blood flow by preventing the platelets from sticking together and clotting.
- It lowers levels of cholesterol and triglycerides in the blood. Overall, garlic increases the body's level of antioxidants, which also helps to decrease heart problems.
Eating raw garlic is an excellent way to reap the benefits of garlic for your circulatory system; however, it is also a good way to keep people away from you! Hope for Health's Odorless Garlic provides all the benefits of garlic in convenient capsule form without the "smelly" consequences.
Hope for Health has a unique blend of specialized herbs to promote healthy circulation in our easy to use Cir-QDrops.
Let's take a look at these incredible ingredients:
Cayenne stimulates blood flow, promoting healthy blood circulation and strengthening the heart. In fact, it's one of the safest, most effective cardiovascular stimulants known and shows a variety of helpful actions for the cardiovascular system, including helping to regulate fibrin (the protein involved in blood clotting), which is particularly important for healthy circulation. Cayenne has no equal in its benefits to your overall heart and circulatory health! Most natural health practitioners find it to be the single most useful and valuable herb! Cayenne has an energizing effect on the entire system and has traditionally been used for overcoming fatigue and restoring stamina and vigor. It is a natural stimulant without the threatening side effects (palpitations, hyper-activity or rise in blood pressure) of most other stimulating agents. In addition to all this, cayenne is also a very nutritious herb! A very high source of vitamins A and C, it also has the complete B complexes, and is very rich in organic calcium and potassium (minerals vital for a healthy heart), making it naturally heart-healthy!
Hawthorn Berry known as "heart food" has been known for centuries to be a potent heart and circulatory system aid. As a cardio-tonic it increases the contractions of the heart and promotes a healthy heart rhythm. To this day, it remains one of the most popularly used botanicals for heart health throughout Europe, where studies have demonstrated that hawthorn can support overall heart health by:
- Relaxing and dilating arteries
- Increasing the flow of blood and oxygen to and from the heart
- Supporting healthy circulation
- Increasing endurance
- Maintaining healthy blood pressure & blood vessels
The effects of hawthorn as a heart tonic are gentle and best achieved over time. Unlike many prescription medications for the heart, hawthorn has been shown to be safe for long-term use, with no toxic side effects!
Skullcap has been used safely for centuries in traditional medicine to reduce excess inflammation, improve circulation, and to support and strengthen overall cardiovascular health. Research at numerous prestigious U.S. medical institutions demonstrates that skullcap contains some of the most powerful anti-aging and anti-inflammatory molecules known to science.
Goldenseal acts as a tonic and sedative for the nervous system, producing a calming effect, which
supports normal blood pressure and enhances circulation. According to the American Botanical Council, goldenseal also appears to support normal cholesterol levels.
Passion Flower, since the 1800s, herbalists have used passion flower for its sedative and vascular benefits along with its calming effects. With stress being a major risk factor for heart problems, this soothing herb is particularly helpful at keeping the heart healthy and calm. Passion flower contains anti-spasmodic qualities, which may relax blood vessel walls, promoting blood circulation and healthy blood pressure.
Parsley has many heart and cardio-protective qualities; one of which is deactivating the amino acid homocysteine. When levels of this amino acid become too high, it can damage blood vessels. However, the vitamin B9 found in parsley helps to convert homocysteine into harmless molecules, thus protecting the blood vessels. Parsley is also rich in folic acid, magnesium, calcium and potassium, which help nourish the heart and prevent heart problems. Cir-Q Drops is an excellent choice for improving and maintaining your circulation and your entire cardiovascular system!
You may remember a Hope for Health's presentation back in May of 2015 on the benefits of Heart Maximizer. This is another blend of herbs, vitamins and minerals that is unique to Hope for Health. To review, Heart Maximizer contains a powerful heart-strengthening blend of the following 15 herbs:
- Vitamin E - Hundreds of studies show the amazing benefits of vitamin E on the heart! A powerful antioxidant, vitamin E strengthens the heart muscle and helps prevent damage from oxidation. It has been shown to keep your hearth healthy and operating at peak capacity!
- Calcium EDTA - An amino acid; it works as a chelator, meaning it helps remove toxic heavy-metal ions from the blood. It aids the heart and circulatory system by removing calcium buildup and dissolving plaques.
- Ginkgo Biloba - Which we reviewed earlier; it is found in Heart Maximizer, or sold on its own.
- Gotu Kola contains molecules that go to work on our veins, improving their tone and making them less susceptible to bulging and collapsing. These molecules stimulate collagen synthesis, which protects the cells lining the inside of the veins.
- Horse Chestnut provides important plant compounds that work to support healthy circulation throughout the body (including the heart) as well as promote healthy blood vessels, including veins, arteries and capillaries, which can drastically improve overall vascular health!
- Butcher's Broom - Which we reviewed earlier, is found in Heart Maximizer, or sold on its own.
- Diosmin - A natural flavonoid extracted from plants, diosmin improves blood circulation and strengthens vein walls by improving their elasticity. It also helps by inhibiting certain proinflammatory lipids. Diosmin helps your blood to flow against gravity and return from your legs to your heart. This has the effect of reducing or eliminating unsightly bulging and discolored veins and preventing their recurrence!
- Grape Seed Extract - Contains very high concentrations of active polyphenols, which have a very high affinity for collagen structures, particularly the arteries and heart! They are known to enhance the structural integrity of any tissue they attach to, specifically helping to offset damage from physical wear and tear! This is a major help for keeping the heart in shape! (This is also sold as an individual product.)
- Bromelain - Contains natural anti-coagulant properties that promote healthy circulation by helping break up blood clots and reducing the abnormal formation of clots and plaque in your arteries!
- Quercetin -A plant pigment found in many foods such as onions, apples, berries, and grapes. Studies suggest that it improves cardiovascular endurance in as little as seven days!! It also protects the heart and vascular cells from inflammation and oxidation.
- Witch Hazel - Protects and strengthens the heart and improves circulation. Through good blood circulation, all the organs get a regular supply of oxygen-rich blood and remain in good functioning order. Witch hazel is often used in bruise lotions or tonics because it stimulates blood circulation and is an excellent way to constrict veins.
- Odorless Garlic - Which we reviewed earlier, is found in Heart Maximizer, or sold on its own.
- Cayenne Pepper - Reviewed as an ingredient in Cir-QDrops, is also found in Heart Maximizer.
- Citrus Flavonoids - Many studies show that citrus flavonoids have a protective effect on the cardiovascular system, keeping it in optimum working condition. They aid overall heart health by improving coronary vasodilatation, decreasing the ability of platelets in the blood to clot, and encouraging the liver to remove LDL (bad) cholesterol from the blood stream.
- Niacin - Also known as vitamin B3, niacin improves cardiovascular health, most notably by helping increase HDL (good) cholesterol levels!
You couldn't really ask for anything else, Heart Maximizer's unique blend has it all!
This concludes our presentation on circulation; we hope you are inspired to get up and keep things moving! We also hope and pray that you will enjoy a long life full of love, health and gratitude.
Dr. Kaye Olson and all of the Hope for Health staff are ready and willing to answer any product or health questions you may have. We are also happy to consult with you regarding your diet and lifestyle changes; please call 828-649-0278.
If you wish to order or would like a free copy of our informative catalog that includes all the products mentioned in this presentation, as well as all of our Hope for Health products, please call 1-800-468-7884.
Thank you for considering the information in this presentation, and may God bless your efforts at better health!